October has been a month of engagement:
- An array of teaching sessions
- A pop-up stand at UEA Open Day
- Introductory sessions on a new blogging opportunity for students to become involved in the collections’ content
- Staff training at the Archives Hub
- Visits from depositors: Helen Hunter (Alan Hunter Archive) and Richard Beard (novelist & non-fiction writer)
- Using Archives for Biography and Creative Non-Fiction
A seminar for MA post-graduate taught students in the School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing (LDC).
- MA Literary Translation Seminar
- Cultures of Suburbia
Another LDC undergraduate seminar focussing on the collections of Doris Lessing and her correspondence with John Whitehorn, Margaret Drabble, Muriel Spark and Quentin Bell. They examined the role of women in the short story To Room Nineteen and the novel The Fifth Child.
- Reading the 18th century novel
Seminar for 3rd year undergraduates.
We are continuing discussions with the BBC to gain online access to the BBC’s productions of The House (about Deakin’s home at Walnut Tree Farm) and The Garden. Requests have been received both nationally and internationally.
Photo: Walnut Tree Farm.
Doris Lessing Archive
An enquiry was received on Lessing’s property in Dartmoor.
J.D. Salinger – Hartog Letters
Consulted by a UEA student.
A Finnish publisher has requested permission to reproduce a photograph which appeared in the English edition. Caught in the Revolution, Stalingrad 1917 was researched and written by one of our archive readers.
A researcher has visited to examine the papers of the tenants of Lawn Road Flats and the theory that the flats supported Russian spies. Much has been written on this yet there are still more angles to explore.
Photo: Lawn Road Flats by John Maltby ©Pyrok Ltd
The Deputy Director of Estates has been looking at UEA’s early development plans and the architects’ vision for the teaching wall and wider campus.
W.G. Sebald Audiovisual Archive
This archive was viewed by a PhD candidate in Creative Writing from Western Sydney University who is studying 21st century fiction (particularly hybrid genre works).