The installation of new rolling stack near the Archives reached completion this month and we were able to re-open the Reading Room to users on 21 August. We thank users for their patience during the temporary disruption.
A visiting English Studies researcher from a Spanish university has been working on Lessing’s early deposits of correspondence and love letters.
H.H. Lamb Archive
An undergraduate from the US has spent a couple of days in the Archives. Her research focuses on Hubert Lamb’s views of climate, particularly those which influenced his founding vision for the Climatic Research Unit, and the ways in which his perspectives on anthropogenic global warming have been explained and discussed in secondary sources.
An updated listing to the Lamb papers is now available.
• A returning researcher and writer has visited to consult the papers on architecture, design and the thirties.
• A new resident of Lawn Road Flats has visited to find out more about the history of the flats, its Isobar restaurant and Half Hundred dining club. Philip Harben ran the Isobar in the late 1930s before becoming the UK’s first television cook (here he can be seen making a fondue at the flats’ 21st Anniversary in 1955. Among the flats’ many noteworthy early residents was the Austrian architect Egon Riss, designer of the Isokon Pocket Bottleship (1939).
Roger Deakin Archive
• A PhD candidate in the US has been sent notes made by Deakin on the topic of drowning. His dissertation investigates drowning in key texts of poetic realism.
• An Archivist from London has visited to research papers relating to Deakin’s book on wild swimming, Waterlog.
A number of SHAEF Bombing Analysis Unit reports have been scanned for a researcher in France. They include photographs and data concerning the effects of bombing around Le Havre during WWII. (SHAEF = Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Air Force).
There were 4 requests. Some drawings from our Special Collections can be seen on display at the Norfolk Record Office. Drawing in the Archive: the Visual Record of Norwich’s Medieval Churches 1700-2017 runs from 21 August – 17 November 2017.